Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Garud Oh Garud 1

Well our Anatomy HOD was Dr Garud , who taught us embryology.A lot of Senior doctors had told my friend appu that Dr Garud was a gr8 teacher and all ,however most of us never understood what we taught , maybe because the subject he taught , embryology itself was so dull and drab.Most of the students however did attend his lectures but that was more to do with the fact that he never asked questions during lectures ,so you could really relax comfortably on the back bench during his lectures and safely get your attendance.We had a lot of internal exams in 1st year and during one internal exam my viva on bones was taken by Dr Garud. Vivas on bones were held in the dissection hall and you could revise your stuff from the book till literally the last moment ,till you went for the viva.As i was awaiting my turn i saw from a distance that the bones kept on his table were a clavicle , femur , humerus and the skull.The people before me told me that he gave you a choice during the viva and you could pick up and describe any one of the four bones mentioned above.I was never really good at the skull bone so i decided, okey , i will pick up the clavicle.So before going in i went through the anatomy of the clavicle one last time .From the inside Dr Garud saw me reading and reading as i awaited my turn.As my turn came , i walked in confidently and wished him.I never really liked anatomy and the viva on bones and all but wanted to make a good impression in this one.Without any good morning or anything Garud asked me , "so what bone you have studied?" , i smiled confidently as i said to myself here is the chance to finally make a good impression in anatomy , just pick up the clavicle and start .I told him that i had studied the clavicle properly expecting him to tell me to pick it up and start when i got the shock which quickly brought me crashing down.He told me to pick up any bone other than clavicle and looking the bones on his table i.e skull , femur and humerus, i wasn't good at any of them.As i stood in front of him cursing my fate a line from a Hindi movie constantly rung in my head " Haath aaya par mooh na laga ".Well needless to say i had another torrid time in an anatomy viva .

No comments: