Thursday, June 5, 2008

'MANE' The Legend

We had a clerk in Anatomy department called 'Mane'. In first year we used to have tutorials in histology, no need to say that for most of us histology was very dull subject and its tutorial means nightmare as we had to identify different slides on which we were supposed to give viva. Mane was a gate way pass for many of us as he used to provide information about slides in the tut. In return we had to pay him some amount. I was one of them.
Though i tried this trick only once as my 1st experience was proved disaster. On the day of Tut. i paid mane for the obvious reason to get pass in Tut. He assured me that he will come to my rescue. Finally Tut. started Dr. Barve was our examiner. I got two slides to identify, when i saw those slides i realize that they were not that difficult as i thought, i successfully identified 1st slide, then started looking for other. Because of some characteristics of that slide i came to the decision that it had to be either stomach or duodenum but was confused between the two. Then i remember my so called 'Helper' ...........Mr. Mane, i started looking for him in to lab. but he wasn't there, then i thought he made fooled of me and skipped. Then suddenly mane entered into the lab i was relived but then Dr. Barve shouted from the corner 'Mane get out'.
When he was leaving the lab. he passed by me and to grab that opportunity i asked him about slides kept at place where i was standing. He said.....................penis. For a moment i thought how could it be slide of penis as i had already reached to diagnosis of GIT organ, but then few student had told me that mane knew each and every slide & he can even identify them from a distance. Also i didn't wanted to make any mistake in front of Dr. Barve. While i was in dilemma about that slide Dr. Barve came to me and asked about my diagnosis. First slide was correct then after few q's about it he went on second one & asked me
whats your diagnosis ? penis... i mumbled very softly.
What? luckily he couldn't hear that. Then i decided to tell my own diagnosis , I said, 'sir its a stomach'.
No, you are wrong, he replied. I started cursing my self for ignoring mane's advice.
'Its a slide of duodenum'....... Dr. Barve said. Then he explained me its characteristics and all.......
Finally i was done with my Tut. with one slide correct and one wrong but by not listening to mane i saved myself from a disaster in front of Dr. Barve
Then i decided never to take help from the Legend Mr. Mane.