Tuesday, June 3, 2008

My first encounter with Physiology

I was granted admission to the college about 2-3 months later than others. Something to do about being on a 'reserve list'. Anyway, looking at BVP college life in general one would not be wrong to assume it was lucky that I was spared of 3 months here.

The first day that I attended, I remember it was a Friday. There were two lectures in which I understood nothing. It was followed by a Biochemistry practical, which was familiar territory (from 12th std.). A lonely lunch was followed by Anatomy tutorial and dissection, in which I comprehended the lecture as much as the cadaver.

In between, I tried to introduce myself to the HOD's of various departments. I met Dr. Garud from Anatomy, and Dr. Ranade from Biochemistry. A certain Dr. Pansare was absconding. I should meet her the next day, then.

On the second day (Saturday), I was certain that I would be late. We had a lecture at 10:00 am.As I ran towards the lecture hall, I saw an elderly lady enter along with a motley bunch of students, and I heaved a sigh of relief. Not too late, then. I hastily entered the classroom and as the day before, I was awed at seeing a class full of white coats. (I realised 1 and a half years later that most of them had shit for brains).

As I entered, the lecturer announced, "Excuse me, but what are you doing?"
I gave back a puzzled look.

"Did I allow you to enter?"

What was this woman getting at?

"Did you ask permission to enter my class?"

Oh, so that was it. She wanted submission. Okay. "May I enter the class?", I questioned.

"No."

I didn't know what to do. I just stood there, wondering as to what the fuck was going on, and she told me to leave a second time. I left.
On the way out I saw two people, later whom I came to know as Vinayak and Shrikant. They too, wisely disappeared and took me with them. They told me the name of this woman, "Pansare".

Monday afternoon, I went to her office, and this time the old hag was present. "New admission? Since Friday? Why did you wait till this moment to meet me?"

Thus started my painful experience with First Year, MBBS. By the way, I hated every moment of it.

No comments: